I Love Dandelions

Friday, August 15, 2008

Some things are growing...others, not-so-much

The lack of heat and enormous amount of rain has definitely had a dramatic effect on my garden this year. Here's the long and the short of it:

Lettuce (3 kinds) = booming! This picture shows the 3 varieties nicely starting with the Baby Leaf Blend on the right, the Sangria butterhead lettuce next, and then the Little Gems romaine. The Sangria came in more like leaf lettuce than a head lettuce, but it's still awesome. May also be because of the rain, flattening everything out, especially that variety being so fragile to begin with. You can also see the beaten-up Tatsoi on the far left.



















Zucchini (4 kinds) = growing fast. The Sunburst patty pans are what I'm most excited about, but they haven't really produced any fruit yet, I have tiny Golden Dawn and Richgreen ones starting (regular style), and the Magda are almost ready to eat. From Vesey's: "The Magda is a Cousa (Lebanese zucchini) variety. Beautiful, uniform mid-sized 4" fruit have a creamy green color and succulent, nutty, white flesh. Magda is early and very productive over a long season. Maturity 50 days" - very exciting!! Here's a peek under the zucchini leaves of the Magda:



















Cucumbers: they are struggling, but there is one Sultan ready to be picked - can't wait to try it!

























Tomatoes: the plants look pretty good.. I top-dressed with a combination of compost, eggshells and banana skins the other day. There are a lot of green tomatoes still.... we need more heat!!! The Thai Pink eggs (old faithful) look like they are on the verge of turning color. I'm hoping for tomatoes within a week or so. And the one Isis Candy plant that Science Nerd gave me is starting to show it's stripes (in a good way!!) see picture (they are about an inch or so here)



















Beans: despite my aggravation with them at the beginning (stupid cutworms!!), they have filled out to a beautiful bean patch and I should be eating beans within days. I originally planted 2 varieties, but then as theses plants were getting eaten, I was re-planting using whatever seeds I had lying around, so I've basically lost track of what I have. There will be some yellow beans and some green beans.

























More promises from the weatherman, but apparently it will be hot in the next week, so hopefully I will have some exciting ripe tomato pictures and news soon!

2 comment(s):

Wow! Super cute zucchinis!!! I would like to add my own anecdotal report - your lettuce is so delicious; it's like buttah.
Also, I cannot get over how fab your potatoes are. Nice work!
Now if it would just get warm enough for those damned tomatoes to ripen...

By Blogger Unknown, at 6:59 AM  

Thanks! The zucchini are really delicious - I have plenty to spare if you'd like some.

By Blogger The Sauce, at 5:10 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home