I Love Dandelions

Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Report on Tatsoi




















I harvested the first bits of Tatsoi today .... or the first bits that I have dared to eat. The plants have taken a beating with some kind of pest eating a good deal of the leaves, and giving them a less-than-appealing look. But upon closer examination I found many of the leaves not as bad as my initial impression told me, in particular the newest growth in the middle.

After picking out the "bad" stuff, the tatsoi was quickly stir fried with garlic and was healthy and DELICIOUS.

NERD NOTE1: Tatsoi is in the genus Brassica, (along with cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, turnip and others) which is part of the mustard family (Cruciferae aka Brassicaeae). I now remember where the term cruciferous veggies comes from... and I'm thinking cruciferae is probably latin for noxious gasses. Turns out it's something to do with the shape of their flowers. I suppose that's easier to key out.

Not sure what is eating the Tatsoi.... but from the reading I've been doing I suspect that it's Flea Beetles. Apparently they LOVE all things Brassica. Which explains why there are 3 rows of delicious lettuce varieties that haven't been touched. Obviously very fussy eaters.

For next year some suggestions I've read (non-chemical):
- row covers
- early spring or fall planting (Tatsoi is extremely cold resistant, even seems to do better in cold weather)
- encourage faster more vigorous growth (larger plants=more resistance) by planting more vigorous varieties, and shallower planting

NERD NOTE2: http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/id/QAA366540 Apparently cruciferous veggies are fart-makers, as they contain raffinose, an indigestible sugar that the methane producing bacteria in your guts go nuts for.

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home